Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Larry Sultan 1946-2009


Photo by Kelly Sultan

Larry was my teacher. Even after I left grad school Larry continued to hold a major presence in my life. I hope he would take it as a compliment to find out that he used to make regular guest appearances in my nightmares, still pushing me to do better, to expand my visual exploration even further. Larry would come into class and be so excited by an article or a book he had read and his enthusiasm would affect us all. One time when I felt particularly stuck creatively he told me to go take a long walk around the city. I walked from South of Market to Ocean Beach and through North Beach down into Chinatown. When I got back home I didn't feel any less stuck. But it was a beautiful walk. Larry was one of the most eloquent speakers I've ever heard, but he could be so frank, so direct, that he'd leave you stunned. But in the end it was all about being true, and he was devoted to that. As we should all be. Goodbye Larry.